Smart shading solutions using Standard Motor Interface technology
SMI is the standard in the automation of shades and shutters. It standardizes the communication between drives and controls allowing for simplified and sustainable wiring.
Vestamatic is – among others – the leading supplier of drives and control systems using SMI technology. With 100.000+ installed SMI products in projects around the world, Vestamatic is the experienced consultant for planning, commissioning and maintaining of SMI installations.
ONE INDUSTRY STANDARD FOR THE COMMUNICATION
OF MOTORS AND CONTROLS FOR ROLLER SHUTTERS AND SUN PROTECTION DEVICES
An open protocol industry standard.
SMI (Standard Motor Interface) is a universal 5-pole BUS-System to connect motors and controls for shading and window applications. This way – products from different manufacturers using SMI technology can be seamlessly combined. Since 2023 the products are using a revised standard 3.0.
SMI therefore connects easily to building management systems using KNX, LON, Modbus, BACNET, RS485, RS232 technology. As a standard it offers supplier independence for the investor, future proof products connected to IOT and allows installations with less components.
SMI is the go-to for investors, architects and consultants in achieving the highest building standards in different regions of the world.
Book a meeting to discuss your next SMI project
Smart shading solutions using digital SMI motors, controls and cabling.
All Shading Types
- Greatly reduced cabling and connection points up to 60% by applying Vestamatic BUSbar technology.
- SMI parallel connection requires up to 75% less controls using Vestamatic motors and controls.
- Compatibility between products – SMI is supplier independent.
- Prefabricated plug & play cabling solutions reduce installation effort and risk.
- Reduced electrical installation and commissioning work on construction sites.
- Easy replacement of service cases.
FAST / EFFICIENT / REDUCED COST / REDUCED RISK
VESTAMATIC SMI cabling vs conventional
wiring in shading applications
The benefits to using smart SMI BUSbar cabling, compared to a more conventional installation.
Conventional Drives and Motor Control
16 drives and motor controls
- Motors not addressable.
- Power required per motor controller – typically 4 per 16 drives.
- Each motor requires wiring back to a motor control.
- No status feedback from motor.
- Wiring between controls required.
16 drives and 1 motor control
- Motors individually digital addressable.
- Parallel connection – one source of power.
- Simple clamp connection, x16 motors per BUSbar.
- Two-way communication feedback.
- Significant reduced amount of control boxes and wiring.
VESTAMATIC SMI PRODUCTS & SOLUTIONS
With the experience of > 15 years in SMI, our products have become part of a solution ecosystem that can be tailored to the needs of a project. Vestamatic offer the widest range of SMI motors for exterior and interior venetian blinds, for zip-screens, for markisolette, for roller blinds, for pleated blinds and roman shades and special applications. Our control is connected to KNX, Modbus and BACNET. Our cable solutions with BUSbar technology are universal and can be fully prefabricated.
SMI Tubular Motors
SMI Side and Centre Motors
SMI Block Motors
Information on our SMI motors, controllers and solutions.
More SMI Information
Selected projects featuring Vestamatic SMI products and solutions around the world.
For more information on Vestamatic SMI products and solutions, click on the contact button below.